Friday 9 September 2011

Pleasant Things & Things To Think About

Since I'm fantastic at bad starts, my first post was not the cheeriest. Being bitter comes way too easy for me and that might be something that I could work on. So for my second post, I decided I would focus solely on things I like. So here we go.


One of the things I particularly like is walking or going for a run at night. There's something about the coolness and darkness of it that calms me entirely. I like to look inside houses as I pass them. That might sound strange, but I just enjoy watching people go about and sometimes I kind of imagine what it would be like to live in all the different places.


I like the feel of a new haircut and new clothes. I love having something new and different about myself and going out in public. (e.g. a new tattoo, cool new shoes, a quirky shade of lipstick.) It's a tiny excitement.


Ice cold lemonade, iced tea, cheesecake, pumpkin pie, carnivals, fairs, farmer's markets, Fall, Halloween, Christmas, birthdays, horror movies that are in fact scary, a glass of wine that relaxes your entire body, lazy days, eerie feelings, thunderstorms, haunted houses, Tim Burton movies, Johnny Depp's face, Johnny Depp.


There's nothing quite like listening to music that transports you to a different world entirely. It's almost magical. Your mind escapes from reality and you feel all these strange and powerful emotions. Here's a memorable example:
Light House by Patrick Watson        


They say the olfactory sense is the most connected to memory. And there's nothing quite like a certain odor that brings you back to a different time and place; talk about nostalgia! I accord a great importance to smells. Good smells to me are soothing and I never take them for granted; lit candles, wood fires, freshly mowed lawns, old books, new books, salty sea air, fresh flowers, fall leaves, coffee, apple cider, bread baking, even the smell of a loved one or your dog :) I love smelling things.


Now here's something to think about:
Human beings are funny. They long to be with the person they love but refuse to admit openly. Some are afraid to show even the slightest sign of affection because of fear. Fear that their feelings may not be recognized, or even worst, returned. But one thing about human beings that puzzles me the most is their conscious effort to be connected with the object of their affection even if it kills them slowly within.
- Sigmund Freud
Weird how that works right? Isn't it backwards how people suppress their feelings for someone they love? If that person is important to you, why should that be a secret? People are afraid of rejection. They fear that the other person might not share their feelings. Why is that a big deal? Isn't it enough to love someone? What's the matter with telling someone how you truly feel? And what's so bad about knowing someone loves and cares for you? Love is important and is meant to be shared. Don't hide it by keeping it to yourself. What good does that ever do?


I will leave you with this:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/AOpPre/www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photos/hilarious-harry-potter-comics

No comments:

Post a Comment